Forbidden Mention

Forbidden Mention
What causes your family to bury the past?
To hide from the truth, don’t want it to last
Is it better to bury the problems of old?
I found out its lies I have always been told.

I wondered what the whispering was all about
It sent chills up my spine~ I wanted to shout
Curiosity left me uneasy and scared
I knew there was something that should have been shared.

Now turn the clock forward, this mess I must fix
The damage is done; I am scarred by the mix
The secrets are buried so deep in the ground
Is there hope that my history can someday be unbound?

I was raised in a family so bound by abuse
There were such evil things that were unspoken, obtuse
We lived in a dungeon without any key
As children we just had no option to flee.

The secrets were buried, or so they did think
I vow to disclose all these stories in ink
These demons, they need to be torn from my life
No more generations will carry this strife.

If your life has been stable, with love and support
Don’t pretend that you have all the answers to sort
If judgment is based on doing the best that we knew
Then my family, imperfect, will just never do.

My plan is to put these demons behind me
Without facing them, my life won’t be free
I want out of this prison, my heart has been shred
So, demons, get out of my heart and my head!

Vickie Skowronski
~28 September 2009

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DAYBREAK

Can It Change??

Oh, Gentle Heart